Energy Performance Certificates – Domestic

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Domestic EPC | All you need to know…. 


What is a Domestic Energy Performance Certificate?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) measures the energy efficiency of a property on a scale of A-G.

Domestic EPCs are a legal requirement for a building to be sold, let or constructed.

Domestic EPC

Fast, Reliable & Accurate Energy Performance Certificates

Fully Accredited to carry out all Domestic and Commercial EPCs

We can get you compliant!

The most efficient homes – which should have the lowest fuel bills – are in band A. The Domestic EPC Certificate also tells you, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the home has on the environment. Better-rated homes should have less impact through Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions.

The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings. The Domestic EPC Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home’s energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment. EPCs apply also to commercial buildings and are rated only by Carbon Dioxide emission ratings on a scale of A-G.

Energy Performance Certificates | Q&As

So what is a Domestic EPC? Do I need one? What do they contain?


Domestic EPC’s are our speciality, and we know our business in-side-out however lots of people have never even heard of an EPC!

So here are some questions and answers to make you an EPC wizards….

What is a Domestic EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)?

Domestic EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is a guide that would-be buyers or tenants get when they look at a property. Much like the multi-coloured sticker on new appliances. A Domestic EPC tell you how energy efficient a building is and give it a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient). A Domestic EPC lets the person who will use the building know how costly it will be to heat and light, and what its carbon dioxide emissions are likely to be.

The EPC will also state what the energy-efficiency rating could be if improvements are made, and highlights cost-effective ways to achieve a better rating. Even if you rent your home, some improvements noted on the EPC may be worth implementing, such as switching to more energy-efficient light bulbs.

What does a Domestic EPC contain?

An EPC contains:

  • An Energy Efficiency Rating. An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient).
  • Estimated Energy Costs. An EPC will give an indication of how much it will cost to heat and power your home.
  • Recommendations to reduce energy use and save money. Potential savings that could be made should you improve the energy efficiency of your household running costs.
  • Summary of energy performance related features. This summary gives you an indication of how energy efficient different aspects of your home are, for example windows, heating, lighting, roof etc.

It can act as a useful guide to help you work out which areas to focus on first when improving your home’s efficiency.

When are Domestic EPCs required?

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is:

  • Built
  • sold
  • rented

All domestic and commercial buildings in the UK available to buy or rent must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

Your property’s EPC needs to be available to potential buyers or tenants as soon as you start to market your property for sale or rent. If you own a home, getting an energy performance survey done could help you identify ways to save money on your energy bills and improve the comfort of your home.

How long are EPCs valid?

EPCs are valid for 10 years from when issued.

If you implement any of the energy efficiency recommendations outlined in your EPC, you may wish to get a fresh EPC done to include these improvements.

Buildings that don't need an EPC

These include:

  • Places of worship
  • Temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years
  • Stand-alone buildings with total useful floor space of less than 50 square metres
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy
  • Some buildings that are due to be demolished
  • Holiday accommodation that’s rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a licence to occupy
  • Listed buildings – you should get advice from your local authority conservation officer if the work would alter the building’s character
  • Residential buildings intended to be used less than 4 months a year
How can I get an EPC?

Contact us today to instruct your EPC. We are a friendly bunch and can offer any helpful advice and assistance needed.

View a sample Domestic EPC

EPC Uplift – Improve your rating

Want to know how to improve you EPC Rating? Find out about our EPC Uplift >>>more


Land Mark Register

More information about Domestic EPCs can be found on the Government Land Mark Register >>>more

Have a question?  Need more info? Can we help?